7 Things to Help Yours Pets Through LOUD Times!
New Years Eve celebrations are right around the corner, bringing with them fireworks, sparklers, and cap guns, all of which can be frightening for even the most well-adjusted pets. Here are some tips that lean medical, comfortable and even a little natural to help your pets get through these noise phobia times:
1. Create a safe space. This could be an area under the stairs, in a large closet, or a bathroom. The safe space should be away from windows or in an area where room darkening shades can block windows. Blocking the outside visibility makes it so the pets are not able to see the flashes of light associated with the fireworks ( or lightning!). Some pets can get comfortable in their crates, covered with a cage cover or blanket, while others will only panic more if crated.
2. Good Music. Putting on Spa Type or Piano type music ( Hey Alexa!) on helps cover the noise to a degree and create a calm environment .
3. Dog earplugs and headphones are also available to decrease noise intensity but can run $50+ and have mixed review . Simple cotton balls may work well for some dogs but we need to make sure not to push to far in, that it is hard to get out, is not forgotten, nor ingested ( eaten!) by the pup if they fall out.
4. Thundershirts: ThunderShirt’s patented design applies a gentle, constant pressure that has a dramatic calming effect for over 80% of dogs. Most effective anxiety solution as voted by veterinarians Already helping hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats across the country Great for storms, separation, travel and many other anxieties.
5. CBD Oils and Treats: Cannabinoid oils have been shown to be effective at decreasing anxiety. Be wary of whom you buy them from- not all are created equally!
6. Other Natural Supplements:
Homeopet Fireworks (thunderstorms, fireworks, and loud noises): Homeopathic remedy provides relief from fear of: Fireworks, Wind, Loud Noises, Gunshots. Restless, anxious and unwanted behavior can be helped with this fast acting, non-sedating liquid. Homeopet on Chewy.com recommended by Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM
Homeopet Storm Stress: A safe, effective remedy that promotes calm in pets exhibiting fear from: Thunderstorms Wind Hurricanes Tornados Restlessness, anxious and unwanted behavior can be helped with this fast acting liquid. Professional strength. Homeopet on Chewy.com recommended by Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM
Botanical Animal Mellow Out flower essence: Mellow Out helps to calm the nervous or jittery animals that may be moody, irritable or on edge all the time. For overly anxious and anticipatory animals that tend to lose control easily. Great to use prior to competition, thunderstorms, or firework displays. Bontanical Animal is fond on Amazon, recommended by Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM
Botanical Animal Panic Attack flower essence: Panic Attack helps to alleviate hysterical behavior or extreme terror arising out of feelings of abandonment. Eases feelings of isolation when left behind or left home alone. Subdues the sense of panic that may drive them to self-induced bodily harm.Bontanical Animal is fond on Amazon, recommended by Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM
7.Training. With the right training, pets can be taught to be "desensitized" to certain sounds.For more information on training your pets, contact your local dog trainer.
...and remember "Happy Pets, Happy People!"
-Amber V., CPPS, Veterinary Technician
Owner, Atta Boy! Animal Care
Pet Sitter + Dog Walker